Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Thursday, March 24, 2016
(This blog is due at the end of the block.)

In The Glass Castle, Jeannette recalls a time when her mother painted "dozens of variations and studies of the Joshua tree."  Reread the last two paragraphs on page 38, and interpret the following quote: "It's the Joshua tree's struggle that gives it its beauty."

In a one paragraph response, offer an interpretation of the above quote, and explain what it may mean in the context of the novel.  Then, apply it to an experience you or someone you know has struggled through/with.

65 comments:

  1. This quote is saying that when something struggles for something and reaches its goal, that the struggle that led its to its ultimate goal no matter what is beautiful. She was saying that the tree is beautiful because it has struggled to live and succeeded even if it is tilted almost parallel to the ground. One time that I've seen someone struggle to reach a goal that made them amazing was my cousin Marla. She dreamed of going to UOM however when she was 19 she had my second cousin Romie. However she did not give up on her dream and raised here child and went to Michigan at the same time. She would go to school during the week and take care of my cousin on the weekends driving late at night to complete her dream. She has inspired me that if you want something bad enough and put all of your effort into it and are willing to suffer to get to your goal you can accomplish anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quote shows that when one goes through a series of hardships in their life and they still persevere, they gain a certain amount of strength and wisdom that will stay with them through for the rest of their lives. Jeannette's mother then says that the Joshua tree has a certain characteristic that makes it unique compared to the other types of trees and vegetation because the struggle it has undergone makes it different, and different can be beautiful. This idea can be applied to many experiences from getting through school and tough classes to suffering with a serious disease or condition, both of which I, as well as others that I know, have had to deal with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quote may be interpreted to mean that if everyone grew up under the same shelter and standards as everyone else, everyone and everything would end up the same. Because of the unique circumstance that one has during their development, they produce different qualities and characteristics. In the context I think it was meant as Jeannette's mom trying to defend and justify their own way of life; that because of their struggle they they are very special. I think everyone can experience this when they have to go through something that was difficult for them but not for others. In doing so they gain experience and an insight of how to deal with things. It also gives them advantages later on that may be considered special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quote is saying that the Joshua trees struggle to grow, makes it beautiful, that it survives in a rough terrain without help. In context to the novel it means that everyone has to face obstacles in their life and that you survive alone, without help, makes it livable. If someone helps you you are not growing on it. The novel shows this the way Rex and Rose Mary are treating their children. They have to learn pretty much everything the hard way and do not get that well protected like other children from their parents. But they know how it is to suffer and because of that they know how to survive and live their life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quote is very interesting. The Joshua tree was growing in the middle of the dessert. In this harsh environment, the tree was forced by the wind to grow sideways. This quote could be taken in many different ways. Even though this tree was in a harsh environment, it preserved and came out to be something beautiful. This could be applied to everyone's lives in hard times. In this book, the family goes through many struggles, but they keep working and surviving until they improve their situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This quote is trying to express that whatever the goal may be, there is always going to be a pathway full of struggles to get there. The way someone chooses to achieve something is what separates their goal and makes it different from others. So when Jeannette's mom says that about the Joshua Tree it goes to show that the tree will be beautiful no matter what it turns out to look like because it went through what it needed to achieve its ultimate goal. When the mother says this I feel like she can relate to it a lot as her whole family goes through struggles and hardships to get to wherever they may go next, but she wants to emphasize that their life is still great and beautiful under the circumstances. I can relate this concept in my sports life knowing that it takes lots of effort and practice to achieve a skill, and I may fail a few times but that's part of making my process unique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that this quote is saying that someones struggle such as hardwork, gets them to their ultimate beauty or goal. Jeannette's mother was trying to tell her that because the tree has suffered under such hard conditions, is why it is here standing with them. It's suffering is what makes the tree beautiful. I myself know someone that struggled imensly with basic reading and comprehension skils. But with her own determination and hardwork she was able to overcome this flaw and become a better reader. She showed me that if you strggle with something but keep an openmind and try to better it, you can get to where you want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quote means that adversity and tough times make each thing special and beautiful in its own way. Anything can thrive and survive in ideal situations but it really makes something or someone special when they can defy the odds and power through a struggle. I think this quote really connects to the story well it all sorts of ways. The mother believes this and tell her children this because her family is in a struggle and a tough situation but she wants them to power through and believe in themselves until they reach their ultimate goal. She wants her children to know they are special and unique because they can battle through tough times with a positive mindset. This really can connect to anyone including myself, it teaches a lesson of never giving up and to power through adversity or struggling times. It teaches us that no matter how hard things can get the outcome will always be beautiful and reawarding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quote is saying that the struggle gives the Joshua tree it's beauty because even after all the tree has been through, the tree has grown and developed from a seed. I also think Jeanette's mother is referring to herself and her family because even after all her hardships she experiences as a mother, she still believes she has grown like the tree. Growing from hardships and being happy with what you have is a major theme in the novel because of the Walls' struggle with poverty. This same idea is also present in Jeanette's mother's parenting style. I think Rose Mary may even believe struggle causes beauty, which could be why she treats her kids with independence and borderline abuse. Not to justify her actions, but perhaps there is an element of truth to beauty developing because Jeanette has now grown up to be successful. To apply it to a personal experience, I have observed people's change in character before and after struggling with personal issues. It truly molds them into who they are today, and that I find beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The qutoe is saying that when somthings struggles to surrive and ultimatily does it is beutiful. In the novel there saying the the trees hard ships, its fight for survival and how it grew to survive set it appart from all other trees making it beutiful. One time my great grandma Gates struggled trought the great depression

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quote “It’s the Joshua tree’s struggle that gives it its beauty” is saying that the troubling times and different situations that a person or thing goes through is what makes them unique and gives them character. In The Glass Castle, this quote fits perfectly because the tough situations that the Walls family goes through and the way the parents raise the four children is what gives them all their personalities and makes each member of the family special. My family is friends with another family whose daughter was diagnosed with leukemia when she was just 18 months old. This family struggled for years dealing with the situation that their daughter was in, but they managed to keep such a positive attitude in the toughest of times, and when their daughter was 4 or 5 they said that she was finally cancer-free. Because of the struggle this family went through, they now have such a good outlook on life and try to live life to the fullest. Overall, this quote shows that even though we all have some wear and tear, we are all unique and people should appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beauti
    I think the quote is saying that the Joshua tree is beautiful for its flaws. It's special because it was sapling and not growing as tall as it should. Since Jeannette wanted to dig it out and plant it somewhere where she can take care of it, it'd undo its beautiful flaw that it had to catch her attention in the first place. A personal experience I had that can related to his quote is, me and my brother found a tree that was kind of slanted and had things hanging off if it, we liked it because the slant made it short and gave us shade in the summer and would could swing off of it to jump in the water. When it was dug out, we didn't enjoy doing anything anymore that involved the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I believe that this quote is basically saying that everyone goes through hard times and everyone gets through them differently. But it is our imperfections that make us all unique and make us special in our own ways. When it comes to The Glass Castle, the mother was pobably just inferring that, the family may be brooken and not completlely average, but like the tree they will survive and get through it with what they have. I have a friend who is going through a lot with her parents being judgementsl and super strict, but she has always been as happy and there for everyone even when her two biggest supports are not.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This quote is saying that it the Joshua tree is the way it is because of what it has endured. I believe that Jeanette's mother was referring to the things that Jeanette and her family have had to go through. I was raised with the knowledge that not everything in life was going to be easy; in fact, most of it would be hard. But the important part is that the hard stuff is there for me to build strength and in-turn character by persevering through hardship. Whether it's a major life-changing event or the daily grind, I know that what I'm going through is going to have a positive impact on me in the log run.

    ReplyDelete
  15. She isn't referring to its physical beauty as much as she is to its perserverence and strength, as in real life, hard circumstances and situations make a person better

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that this quote is saying that it's the hardships of life that shape and mold us. Her mother was referring to how their life has been so far, but that it will eventually get better. I know that not everything is going to be easy, bit is thee difficult parts of life that give you character and mild you into something greater.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Walls family has so far had an incredibly difficult lifestyle in the book. Time and time again Rex and Rosemary Walls continue to seemingly neglect their children. Yet through it all, the children remain intelligent and resourceful. I believe this quote is claiming that, like the Joshua tree, the Walls children have had to endure more than many privileged children in the world around them, and in the future it will manifest their obtained skills into an ensured healthy, happy life. My family is very privileged, and I was born into a family that had no real foreseeable problems that could ever render me in a situation where I would have had to use every resource possible. The only struggle I've seen amongst my family is mainly academic as my mother had me while she was in college and had to take care of me alone while simotaniously attending her classes. Through those four years of financial turmoil and raising a child as a single mother, however, she was able to gain her degree and go into nursing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The quote is stating that the joshua tree is so beautiful because of all the things it went through. In some ways the Joshua Tree symbolizes Jeannettes family. Although both the Joshua tree and Jeanettes family have struggled through many hardships yet still are beautiful. The quote is basically saying that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, that even though times may not be good eventually things will get better. I feel like this is a commln belief among high school students that they're life "sucks" all though things could be worse and high school is just a small part of life so eventually it will het better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Joshua tree is unique, just like most people. The people who hurt the most, are the nicest. The people who have less, are more generous. The people who make sacrifices and work the hardest, are the happiest. The people with experience in life, are the wisest. It's the struggle that builds character, yet doesn't define you. You grow from it. The people who don't know what struggle is, don't know how to appreciate either. This quote is telling us to never take struggle for granted, it adds value to your character and makes us who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I believe that this quote is sayinf that everyone goes through hard times and everyone get throw those hard times. In the novel they are saying the trees hardship and its fights for survial even though its not in the best situation. The tree is growing in harsh environmnet but it still fights to grow. In the book the family goes through many strugglws but yet they keel surviving until that situation gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think that this quote means that all of the hard work and effort that something goes through to get where it is, is the beauty of it, so that's why Jeannette's mom thought it would be more beautiful for the tree to grow in tough conditions than in easy conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What this quote is trying to say is that growing and becoming successful through hard work and tough times is more admirable than that of a perfect story. As the tree grew, it was bombarded with wind and grew all lopsided and blown one way, but that is what shows its story and what it went through, giving it character. It's beauty comes from its struggle that it prevailed from. This idea kind of reflects the story in The Glass Castle. Jeanette's family is in anything but perfect conditions, and growing in this way makes Jeanette that much more deep and interesting. This relates to everyone in some way, something they struggled with and eventually overcame. It doesn't have to be very big either. One example from my life and probably everyone's life at some point is that day that you have where you have a huge amount of homework. That one night where you don't get to sleep or are up for most of the night, but you still got that homework done. You feel more proud of doing that than you would if you had ten minutes of homework. Another example might be a sporting event. It's boring if a blowout takes place, but the crowd goes crazy when there is a buzzer beater in the fourth to win it all. A struggle is much more dramatic and much more of a story than an easy breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I believe that what she is trying to explain to her kids is that the tree has endured life with just constant struggling. Just like the kids who are constantly dealing with stuff happening to them. But even though the tree has lived through probelms and wound up beautiful , so can the kids

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think this quote means that what makes the tree so special is what the tree has gone through. I'm sure by looking at it you can tell that it is pretty old and has probably endured a lot. One of the biggest struggles I face daily is a lack of sleep. Look at me in the mornings and I'm sure you can tell that I don't seem to get much. It might sound like a joke but I struggle to get things done throughout the day because I'm always sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The quote means that the more you live the more beautiful you become, because you are made and molded by your life edperiences. The joshua tree was molded by its experiences with living in the wind. Although completely different experiences humans are the same way. For example we experience this growing up as we get older we learn new things and learn not everything we thought was true is true. We change because of those experiences and those experiences make us who we are today.

    ReplyDelete

  26. The Joshua Tree looks the way it does because of the struggle it has to go through like the wind. I feel like Jeannette's mom was comparing the tree tonthe life that Jeannete and her family are living. You're obviously not going to get everything you want in life and there will be some patches in your lifetime that things will be really rough. But challenges you overcome make you the person that you are today and will be in the future. Just like the Joshua Tree in the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This quote may be referring to the fact that the struggle of the tree gives it the character that it has now. It gives it its true beauty. She may be saying that this is what makes it unique and different from the others. I made the connection that this is her way of saying the way people are raised is gives them the qualities that they have when they get older and what makes them stick out in their own unique way.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Harvey Flynn
    This quote means that the Joshua tree is unique since it is blown by the wind and becomes misshapen. If it was straight and tall, it would be just like all of the other trees which would not make it as special or interesting to paint. It could relate to the context of the novel since the Walls family is different from everyone else since they are homeless and poor. Jeannette's mom's quote shows that their family is different than most people but that is not necessarily a bad thing. It could also mean that people have to struggle in life to succeed. It reminds me of my little sister because she likes to wear colorful clothes and stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think this quote has a plethora of meanings. I think the main thing to draw from it is that all the hard work or "struggle" will eventually pay off into something beneficial to you. Perseverance is key in life. Get through the hard times and the good times are just that much sweeter. -John Adkins

    ReplyDelete
  30. I took this quote as the way the wind had curved the tree made it unique. Them living and doing things different than the "normal" makes them unique. They are educated well for kids moving around so much. They have learned to be independent at a young age. These qualities they have had to develop at a young age would make them a better person in the future. It makes them more open hearted to people who have experienced similar situatuons.

    ReplyDelete
  31. On page 38 Jeanette wanted to dig up a Joshua tree so she could protect it from the wind. Her mom then says "you'd be destroying what makes it special", she said "it's the Joshua tree's struggle that gives it it's beauty". I think what Jeanette's mom means is that pain and being hurt and going through rough paths is what makes up who you are today. It makes you a stronger person and it helps you with the future. The tree represents yourself and sometimes you need to go through hard times in order to find the beauty within. I really like this book because it has really inspirtational quotes and you have to look at things in a different way. I like this quote though and what the meaning is behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I believe that this excerpt from the novel symbolizes the Walls children. I came to this conclusion because they had been raised in such a way by their parents that they were so used to constantly moving. For instance, since the tree is stuck in its permanent position with the direction of the wind, so are the children, seeing as they are used to their living conditions and are stuck in this state of life. As for the quote, "It's the Joshua tree's struggle that gives it its beauty," it pertains to this example of symbolism because the children had gone through many difficult hardships, but had become very intelligent young beings who learned to be grateful for the little things that they had through their times of struggling in their childhood. Therefore, their difficult childhoods led to them growing as powerful individuals. This may relate to certain situations with homeless people seeing as their struggling in life may cause them to realize that the little things matter and that it is important to be grateful for the things that they do have, and not the things that they wish they had.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The quote describes that what really gives something it's beauty, is its strength and uniqueness. Struggles and hard times in life are what shape everyone into their own individual person, embodying the difficulties and turning it into up your thriving allure. Growing your power to be your own person, embracing individuality comes from dealing with hardships. This can be shown in many different real life situations like losing a game, not getting into a college, being denied a job, a death in the family, etc. taking these upsetting situations and turning it into something positive is what makes someone strong and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This quote symbolizes that your imperfections and the hard times you have through are all important contributions to who you are. In many ways, the Walls family is very similar to the tree. Despite the many struggles they have endured, the roots of their family remain strong. Although the family's life is not easy, their perseverance and optimism is admirable and captivating. I think many people, including myself, can relate to the Joshua tree. Whenever something upsetting happens, I try to learn and grow from it instead of being filled with regret, otherwise we would never move forward in life.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think that this quote is saying that all of the troubling and hard times people go through, everyone will go through them differently. Peoples imperfections is what make them unique and different from anyone. This refers to the book by the family may be Brooken but just like the tree it will survive and be strong and will get through all of their troubles

    ReplyDelete
  36. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This quote describes how the uniqueness of everyone's journey and hardships is what makes them special, and their life beautiful. The Glass Castle shows this because Jeanette and her family are often on the road, and often times homeless or hungry, living from paycheck to paycheck. However, the children, especially Jeanette, has such a positive outlook on life despite the abuse and neglect they have gone through at such a young age, and it is because of their experiences that they are able to handle their situation. I personally know someone who has cancer and had struggled to battle it for years and was in the clear, but then recently it came back, and it is terminal; it is amazing though because that family has so much love and positivity, plus they are so incredibly strong because of the experience they have been through. Overall, peoples' experiences are what make them unique.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I interpreted this quote as that throughout this life one has struggles and goes through hard times. Anything can survive and thrive through a good situation, but what makes someone special is when they can beat the odds and make it through a struggle in their life. I think this quote relates to the book very well. The mother tells her kids this as they are going through hardships so that they power through, because there will always be light at the end of the tunnel. She was to tell her kids that they are special, important and unique so as they are struggling they can still have a positive attitude. I think this quote can relate to anyone's daily life. It teaches to never to give up and and power through tough times in your life. It tell us no matter how tough things get, it will eventually get better and the good parts in your life are always the most rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  39. What i believe this quote is trying to say is that the hard to try to do something in the long run it gets you more places like the example of the Joshua trees they try to do the best they can to survive in nature like people that are homeless try to survive but it is harder for us to survive then the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  40. When Jeannette describes how the Joshua tree is ugly and sad looking, it upsets her mother Rose Mary, who claims that the tree is beautiful the way it is, the suffering made it special and unique. The trouble the tree went through to grow despite the strong wind, it still managed to survive making it special. To try and change that would take away the trees best qualities. Growing tall and straight would take away its special characteristics. I think that everyone can relate to get Joshua tree in some way. Everyone is faced with a challenge atleast one point in their lives but you have to overcome them and learn from them, the Joshua tree did that by changing the way it grows so it can survive, instead of just giving up and dying. Us humans have to do that as well and learn to except the challenges we are faced with, and make the best out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I have heard quotes like this before, how true beauty comes out of struggle. I mean think about it the only reason the Joshua Tree is beautiful is because of its struggle. Without its hardships the Joshua Tree would be a normal, old, boring tree that no one would give a crap about. This quote embodies this novel. No doubt Mrs. Walls has struggled in her life, but from her stuggles we have this beautiful, eye-opening book that is teaching me a lot about how life is a matter of perspective. Depending on how you look at it will determine if you live a happy life or not. For example I have some nasty, snot-nosed cousins who never had to struggle for anything, and because of that they feel like their life is terrible because they didn't get the new Iphone or some other crap like that. They don't appreciate life like Mrs. Walls does because they never had to live with any struggle (I know this is not what we were suppose to do, but I couldn't recall knowing anyone who has really dealt with any stuggles.)

    ReplyDelete
  42. This quote means more than the beauty of a tree. It means that beauty, and character grow based on how someone lives. This can relate to Jeannette because her beauty, or even inner beauty is determined by the struggle she deals with. This can also relate to anyone else. Whether they are struggling to survive day by day, or if they have family struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  43. The quote is saying that if nobody ever had struggles, nobody ever experienced a hard time, then everyone would be the same. The Joshua tree is beautiful because of its struggles, if the tree encountered no struggles, then it would be just like every other tree in the forest. Everybody is different in their own unique way, no two things are alike. The struggles in life are what makes people unique and "different" if everybody was the same life would be boring, it's the differences in all of us that make everybody "beautiful" in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  44. An interpretation I can give for the quote is the process of being in a personal struggle and overcoming that struggle makes me a better person, or a more "beautiful" person. In the context of the novel, the struggle the whole family faces from a lack of food and money has made them more interesting people that can deal with hardship, which may just be true beauty. I personal experience that I can personally relate to is my friend with diabetes. This friend may have to live with diabetes for the rest of his life, but I already believe he has overcome the main challenges that come with diabetes. He has learned to become resourceful and responsible for he must be checking his blood sugar levels at all times. The way he has grown woukd not have been possible without such a struggle. I believe one of the only ways to permanently grow is to go through personal struggles or hardships.

    ReplyDelete
  45. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I think what this quote is saying is that when you see something struggling that doesn't mean that it is ugly or disgusting looking. What her mother is saying is that by moving the tree that is struggling wouldn't make it prettier it would just make it less special. The beauty of things come out more when they are struggling. Rose Mary struggled in her life but she interperates it has she turned out beautiful even though she had struggles within her life. Everyone is faced with struggles throughout their lives and that is when their true personalities come out and their inner beauty shows.I have experienced within my own family struggles with depression so I have seen the dark sides of people but when they come out of the state of depression their beauty shines more than before. They feel completed and more respected. No matter what you go through your beauty comes from the out and the inside and everyone is beautiful in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  47. This quote describes the popular theory that your scars will show your character. The Joshua trees lifeless form gives it an elderly, and wise personality. This tree symbolizes the fight that people give in order to stay strong and firm in place. A sense of pride is established when it is clear that something, or someone has gone through struggles in the past. The scars of your past continue to make you to who you re, and I know that scars I have are now a shaping of my character. Everyone's conflicts reflect in their ability to survive, and be themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I believe the meaning behind this quote is that we are all created differently and what separates us from everyone else is what makes each person so beautiful. The Joshua tree caught Mary Walls attention because it looked like it was falling over but really that was the way it was intended to grow because of the conditions it grew tall in. I also believe that this quote could mean that people have to learn to adapt to there surroundings and enjoy what they are given. Each child in my opinion could relate to adapting to there surroundings and making the best out of what they are given. This is something each youth deals with because our parents making the decisions for where we live and the way we do things.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Basically what the quote is saying is that what something or someone has struggled through it what makes it/them beautiful. Jeanette's mom is saying that if you were to move the tree and replant it, that would be ruining it's beauty. If you let it just stay the way it is and watch as it survives even though it is struggling, that is the beautiful part. Maybe one day the tree would end up being tall and straight after struggling for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  50. The point of the quote is to convey the message that sometimes facing a struggle can make something end up more beautiful. The struggle shows in the finished product but doesn't make it any less than before. This could pertain to the novel in the fact that the kids are experiencing a lot of adversary, but because of these struggles they will be how they will be. Their childhood shapes them. In real life my mom struggled as a single mother with her first two kids, and I think that definitely shaped the kind of parent she is to me.

    ReplyDelete
  51. This quote means that there is a stuggling in everything, and each struggle makes it special and meaningful in its own way. Although you can survive in ideal conditions there is an adventure though the struggles that people have to go through. I think that this quote relates to the book very well. The Walls family because they have to go through the many difficult things in order to survive. Jeanette's mom says that the stuggles are what makes them tough, and she wants them to be able to handle anything that happens throughout there life. She wants them to be able to survive in any situations that they are. She wants her children to believe in themselves and know that they are all special. This quote can relate to anyone because everyone has had stuggles in there life and they have to find ways to overcome and learn from them.

    ReplyDelete
  52. This qoute is saying that the true beauty shows up the most in those who go through a struggle. I believe that the struggles that the Joshua tree has gone through are what make it special. If it was just a regular old tree then nobody would even care to look at it. But, because of it's funny shape, Mrs Walls takes acknowledge it. Jeannette over looks the tree and the struggles it has gone through and calls the tree ugly. In a way her mother explains that the tree's "ugliness" is what makes it truly beautiful. This qoute reminds me of myself in 5th grade because I had some really bright and colorful shoes and a lot of people called them ugly. I wore the shoes because they stood out and I liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I think the above quote can be interpreted to mean that by going through hardships and sticking it through them that that adds on wisdom and beauty through succeeding even through the challenge. There's a certain beauty that comes through tribulations and still learning to cope with them brings. In the context of the novel I feel like Rose Mary finds this tree particularly beautiful because it coincides with them and their life, they go through so many trials and tribulations that it strengthens them and makes them unique as a family. I feel like everyone goes through some kind of hardship in their life that gives them experience in life and makes them a stronger person.

    ReplyDelete
  54. The Joshua tree was a normal tree, but the harsh conditions in which it grew made it beautifully different than any other tree. If it had grown without the bad winds, it would have been a perfectly normal tree, not worth a second glance. But the fact that it has survived in such a brutal place, makes it turn out beautiful in the end. That what a would be normal tree has preserved against such harsh forces of nature makes it's story of survival amazing. Not only it's appearance, but it's story as well is truly beautiful. I cannot clearly remember a time when someone I know has gone through a true struggle, so I cannot correctly answer the last part of the question.

    ReplyDelete
  55. In the most obvious sense, this quote means that perhaps certain struggles, however negative, can positively shape the character of a person. But to find the beauty of a person, place, or thing, sometimes it is necassary to look at the object from a different perspective. In relation to The Glass Castle, this quote could symbolize the many struggles that the Walls family has faced (i.e. economic circumstances, homelessness, and reckless nature) that is part of their path to finding a "Glass Castle". But until their stuggles are over, the Walls embrace life's hurdles as an adventure, which comes to define their outlook on life. I have expirienced similar difficulties in my writing exploits, where I have tried my luck in various writing styles. This resulted in a unclear, mixed writing syle that reflected my scattered thoughts. In the long run, however, I believe that these diverse influences have helped form a unique yet united writing style, that is special to me.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I think that the quote means that the struggle that the kids are currently going through is what will make them beautiful later in life. The struggle that people go through is what gives them character and by going through the struggles that they are dealing with they will be more empathetic and able to relate to people later.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I think the quote "It's the Joshua tree's struggle that gives it its beauty" is really true.
    If Jeannette would try to water the tree every day to make it look perfect , it would be nice from her , but it wouldn't let the tree look unique (if that makes sense :D). Everybody wants to look perfect , but the truth is that everybody has flaws .
    Jeannette went through a rough time , but I think that sharped her character and it made her what she is now. There was once a sentence I heard "every experience you made in your life forms you. I guess you can take it in a bad way , but also in a good way. An example I know would be actually me. I think doing this exchange year is teaching me so many things . I think it is pretty safe to say that you'll go out of your comfort zone. You learn so much about yourself .

    ReplyDelete
  58. I think the quote means that struggling through life adds beauty and character to a person. I think everyone throughout their life endures hardships and the way a person handles their struggles shows their personality. This is similar to the way the Joshua tree deals with its struggle. I feel like Rose Mary admires this tree so much because it reminds her of herself and how she's experienced struggles throughout her life. People, including myself, can relate to this quote because it relays the message to never give up and persevere through the struggles they experience throughout life.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I think that this quotes means that the way you face your struggles shapes who you are and brings out the beauty in something. This relates to the novel because the Walls family had a very particular way of going about life, but it also gave it individuality/ beauty. In real life this could be applied if someone was diagnosed with a rare disease, but continues to stay positive in life no matter the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  60. I believe this quote is saying its the struggles you face in life and how you overcome them, that make you unique. Such as the twisted tree Jeannette's mother was so found of. This can be related to anyone who has faced rough patches in their life, but whats makes them different is how they handle it. A direct example is the homeless people we have been discussing in class. They go through great hardships, but each one is unique because of they way they overcome their problems.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I feel that the quote is trying to express the beauty in struggle and hardship. While from far away, struggle looks like an unfortunate thing, but there is a real beauty in struggle and perseverance, similar to the beauty Rose Mary sees in the Joshua tree. Almost anyone can apply the meaning of this quote to any time they have faced hardship or struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I think this quote means is that the imperfections of the tree makes it special. Just like a person. If the tree didn't go through what struggles they did in terms of being blown over by the wind and didn't have those imperfections then they would just be the same. It helps characterize the tree just like a persons struggle characterizes them.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I believe the quote is referring to Jeannette's mother. I think she is trying to paint the tree as a representation for how her life has gone. She has been threw struggles upon struggles but she can still find happiness. This shows how beauty comes from struggle. When I am working very hard on a paper or a project it is very rewarding when you put in a lot of work and do a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  64. I think that this tells us to keep going no matter what happens. Life, people, and plenty of other things are pretty good at bringing others down. Despite the struggle and hardship keep going. There is beauty in everything especially in someone overcoming a struggle and coming back better than ever. No matter what happens there is success in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  65. By watching things struggle and overcome obstacles as they come, you are also watching them become stronger. The ability to withstand the hurdles is what makes it so spectacular. The simplest way I can relate this to my own life is when I'm practicing my flute and there are some troublesome areas. At first, it will be hard to get my fingers where they are supposed to be and go as fast as they should, and I will keep practicing. The next day it will get easier and it will sound much more pleasing to the ear. By the time it's performance worthy, it will sound wonderful. But it's the struggle and hardships that get you to that peak performance that make it worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete